Google
WWW SNEA Weblog

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Phil Grafft's Comments in News-Leader


Paper Unfair to Accused Teachers

In recent months, I have seen a disturbing pattern emerge as concerns the News-Leader's coverage of a number of events in Springfield. In particular, some of the coverage of events that have occurred in our school system. As former president of Springfield National Education Association, it is natural that I turn a particular eye to coverage of education stories. What I have read disturbs me immensely.

Two events unfolded this spring — one at Bissett Elementary School, and the other at Rountree Elementary. That investigation continues. However, in both instances, the three individuals under scrutiny have, by the Springfield News-Leader, already been tried and convicted.

Even while the Bissett investigation was ongoing, the teacher in question, though not even formally charged with any wrongdoing, was named by the News-Leader. Named and convicted. One article by Sarah Overstreet was particularly offensive. Unable to obtain information from the school district, which I'm sure was following legal advice not to discuss the events, Ms. Overstreet apparently decided to report one side of the Bissett story and make up the other side as she went. I now know to either ignore the writings of Ms. Overstreet, or at least consider them with an extremely large dose of skepticism. Clearly, I will know not to trust what she writes to be truth. And, isn't it interesting that, though the teacher in charge was cleared of any wrongdoing, that just didn't warrant significant coverage by the newspaper. Why? Is it the age-old adage that good news doesn't sell newspapers?

At Rountree Elementary, two people have been charged, and though the investigative process is still under way, you wouldn't know it to read the News-Leader. To read the paper's coverage, this case is all but a done deal and all we are waiting for is the ax to fall!

My concern here has to do with the responsibility of our journalistic community. I am not even addressing the specific charges that have been filed or considered, but rather these three individuals' rights to have their day in court. People with a long history of satisfactory, even exemplary service have been callously "kicked to the curb" by what appears to be an unfeeling, uncaring press.

Occasionally I hear people speak of the News-Leader as though it should not even be mentioned in the same breath with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Kansas City Star, the Chicago Tribune, etc. Sadly, I am beginning to understand why they feel that way. These individuals deserved better. Your readers deserve better.

Phil Grafft of Springfield is the former president of Springfield NEA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home